Why Natural Products are good for Skin
Our skin is a delicate part of your body; it is also the largest organ. It can soak up to 70% of whatever we put on it. Most store-bought, commercially-produced skin products come loaded with artificial colors, fragrances, preservatives and stabilizers that can easily be absorbed through our skin’s pores. These harmful ingredients can potentially cause a range of negative long-term health effects. Why not treat it nicely and naturally instead of putting toxic chemicals that store-bought products have in them? It hardly takes any time to make this DIY All-Natural Body Butter, and it lasts a long time!
Since I started making All-natural body butter, I have noticed a reduction in the appearance of my stretch marks and scars. It is perfect for pregnancy stretch marks and itching, OH THE ITCHING (I was pregnant in the winter for both my pregnancies). I used the butter throughout my whole pregnancy, and it worked wonders!
I live in Michigan, and our temperatures are always up and down. One day it is summer, and the next it is winter. The weather can leave the skin feeling dry and sometimes can crack. The DIY all natural body butter is great at hydrating the skin and making it feel silky smooth.
5 Benefits of Body Butter
- Moisture: Body butter is excellent for the skin because it contains moisturizers from the nut oils inside the seeds. Once you apply it, it’s possible for the body butter to last longer than any lotion, because most lotions contain water. Body butter does not; it only contains the butter(s) used and carriers oils used.
- Protection: Body butters form a protective barrier over our skin to lock in the moisture. Our skin already has a natural wall to help protect us from the elements, but the hot sun, dry air and, cold winter weather can have damaging effects on our skin.
- Skin Nourishing Vitamins: Body butters contain essential omega 3 fats that benefit the body. Omega 3 fats moisturize and help calm inflammation. Shea is the more common body butter and contains vitamins A, E, and F. Shea butter has been used for years for skin and hair. Since Shea butter contains natural vitamins and fatty acids, it nourishes and hydrates the skin.
- Softer Skin: When people start using body butter, they begin to notice how soft their skin feels. The butter can relieve dry, cracked skin and promote healthier skin. Body butter can be beneficial for people with problematic skin issues such as eczema or psoriasis.
- Cheaper: Not only is body butter good for your skin, but it can be a lot cheaper. Natural body butters are far less expensive than the name brand companies. Shea butter tends to be the most expensive because it comes from Africa. But buying in bulk, you will save more money overall in the long run. Check out The Best Ingredients for Homemade Beauty Care for a list of must-have ingredients. These ingredients can be used in multiple recipes!!
How long does homemade body butter last?
Each ingredient has its own shelf life, but I give this body butter 8-12 months. As long as the oils are purchased from a reliable vendor, and given the Shea butter has an 18-month shelf life, 8-12 months is more than enough. I go through a jar once a month, and that is with daily use, summer and winter. I store mine in the bathroom and use after the shower, it stays solid even after our warm showers, and with the summer heat.
*This post contains affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click and make a purchase.
- 1 Cup Shea Butter (Buy Here)
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil (Buy Here)
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Butter (Buy Here)
- 1/4 Cup Almond Oil (Buy Here)
- 1/2 Tsp Vitamin E Oil (Buy Here)
- About 40 Drops ofEssential Oil ( Some Suggestions -Buy Here) of your choice
- 12 pack Jars (Buy Here)
Step 1: In a double boiler or makeshift double boiler like pictured, melt Shea butter, coconut oil, and cocoa butter until melted. Be careful; the bowl will get hot! It will take about 10 minutes to melt; the Shea butter takes longer than the coconut oil to soften.
Step 2: Let the mixture come to room temperature and add carrier oil, vitamin E oil, and essential oil (if using). I say carrier oil because this part is your choice. I like to use almond oil most of the time, but I have used avocado oil and hemp seed oil before, and the body butter comes out amazing! Each carrier has its benefits, so play around, and see what you like best. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
Step 3: Chill the mixture in the fridge, about 30 minutes to an hour. You will start to see it turning White.
Step 4: Using a hand mixer or a stand-up mixer, mix for 5 minutes or until thickened.
Step 5: Put your body butter into containers of your choosing. I like to use canning jars, and this recipe will fill two of those jars. There are many types of different containers to choose from; I recommend using a glass jar.
DIY All Natural Body Butter
- 1 Cup Shea Butter
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Butter
- 1/4 Cup Almond Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Vitamin E Oil
- ~40 Drops Essential Oil of your choosing
- Measure out the shea butter, coconut oil, and cocoa butter and melt in a double boiler, or heat friendly pan.
- Remove from heat, and put in a heat friendly boil, and bring mixture to room temperature. Add the almond oil, vitamin E oil, and essential oils (if using)
- Chill in the fridge for about 30 min to 1 hour, until it become opaque.
- Using a stand up mixer, or a hand mixer, whip on medium for 5 minutes or until thickened
- Put body butter in lidded container, and your all done.
Sign up and subscribe to get my FREE DIY All Natural Skin Care Recipe eBook. Most popular recipes all in one book BONUS recipe I have never released on my site Get it today and start your at home all natural skincare journey today At my...
Homemade Face Wash I hate to admit it, but I used to shell out so much money for my face routine, spending ~$65 every three months on a 3 step process. I thought I was doing wonders for my skin by cleansing, exfoliating, and moisturizing. Never did I think Homemade...
Sign up and subscribe to get my FREE DIY All Natural Skin Care Recipe eBook. Most popular recipes all in one book BONUS recipe I have never released on my site Get it today and start your at home all natural skincare journey today Why...
Sign up and subscribe to get my FREE DIY All Natural Skin Care Recipe eBook. Most popular recipes all in one book BONUS recipe I have never released on my site Get it today and start your at home all natural skincare journey today Homemade...
Since I was younger, store-bought deodorants have always irritated me. I have sensitive skin, and I have had to figure out what works best for me. Finding out about the many uses of coconut oil changed my life. I embarked on a journey that started with homemade...
Harmful ingredients are hiding in your everyday cosmetic and beauty care products, and that’s a fact! When it comes to your skin, you want to take care of it the best you can. Because what you use on it today will affect your health for tomorrow. ...